Wind and Wasps
We experienced tremendous wind over the weekend, and I do believe I drafted a post about it that has disappeared. Let me say only that the house shook and it sounded as if a train was running along the ridge behind the house. I expected to lose a lot of tree limbs but found only one or two chunks, covered with wonderful lichens, in the back yard.
Behind the front came days of warm weather that have emboldened the wasps beyond anyone's imagining. Of course, they aren't really emboldened - they're desperate and doomed - but when they land in my hair or fly past me at nose level because they don't have the strength to fly any higher, I am repulsed and unnerved.
Lucky for them, in my research about eradication (wrong season - one wasp-proofs one's dwelling in the spring), I read that wasps eat many insects less attractive than themselves and that a world without wasps and bees would be starving. I already gave bees that credit, and I will extend it to the wasps and do more catch and release or live and let live.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home