Come Here

A family from Boston moved to eastern West Virginia, just across the Shenandoah Mountains. People like us are called "come-heres" but not to our faces.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Late Warm Day in October

A miracle day (and night) - warm enough to sit out on the porch with a book and to leave the windows open all night. From the front porch at mid-afternoon, I saw the three ladies who walk taking advantage of the day. THese three live somewherre up the road from me and are the only walkers I ever see on Route 33. I assume they walk all the way to town - 4 miles from my house onward - although I can't verify that. They walk in single file, the shortest, oldest one appearing to take three steps to every two of the younger, taller ones. The largest woman has a braid down her back and the erect carriage of an Indian or Egyptian princess.

Today they had a dalmatian with them on a leash. At the end of my road they stopped and let him explore at length the fenceline along the cow pasture. The scent trail must have been very interesting, because they let him read for two or three minutes and only moved on when he was good and ready. This is unusual: Usually the move along as if they were on an invisible track.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home