Come Here

A family from Boston moved to eastern West Virginia, just across the Shenandoah Mountains. People like us are called "come-heres" but not to our faces.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Cool Apples in the Kitchen

It's cool in the kitchen: The table fan is running on the apples I strung up across the bay window to dry. There are six apples, four from the tree out front, which are greenish, and two from the tree in the back, which are more yellow. At the Hands and Harvest Festival on Saturday I tried to identify my apples against those that the apple arborist had brought to show and tell, but I didn't find an exact match. It was exciting to see that a number of heirloom varieties look like mine.

It took about an hour to slice and string six apples in the late afternoon. By morning they were at least half the bulk they had been, and with the fan running they will dry faster. I bet Jim that he would be able to hold them all in one handful when they are done.

I ate a scrap of someone else's dried apple on Saturday. Sweet and tough until well-chewed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home