Characteristic Sound Effect: Thump
The characteristic sound effect of early autumn is thump as the Golden Delicious apples from the tree at the corner of the house hit the ground. You wouldn't stand under that tree without a helmet.
The apples are not very comely, a peculiar olive yellow with black smudges. The sight of them makes you aware of the work that must go into producing a perfect-looking fruit. But they do have a nice aroma, and I would cider them or consider them for pies if we liked Golden Delicious - which we don't, especially.
The apples fall a little farther from their holes than the woodchucks seem willing to go, at least by daylight. The other day I rolled a few apples down the hill for their benefit, and one was so angled that it rolled right into the woodcheck's den, which perhaps got him thinking about a helmet.
Eventually I will load up a tarp with drops and haul them farther from the house so that the deer can eat them more confidently and the bears will keep their distance.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home