Come Here

A family from Boston moved to eastern West Virginia, just across the Shenandoah Mountains. People like us are called "come-heres" but not to our faces.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

A Birdy Day

Fall is coming, and even when it's warm, things look dusty and a little fatigued. But it is still very birdy. So far today I have seen two different woodpeckers, maybe the red-headed and the pileated (from a distance.) There are a couple flycatchers working this corner. One of them sits in the tree in the ell of the house and swoops toward the house to make his catch. It looks as if he means to dash himself into the siding.

There is a bluebird in the pasture, looking like a scrap of blue paper blown into the grass, and there are still goldfinches working the thistles, for there are still lots of thistles. Crows and buzzards are soaring.

Even though it happened a couple days ago, I'll mention that as I was hill-climbing on my way back from Harrisonburg, and approaching the top, a hawk soared out from the side of the mountain, making for me so directly that I flinched.

Yesterday was cool and damp, and I didn't leave the house. Was I ever surprised when I stepped out today around 3. A good thing that I did, it's lovely. It is much warmer outside than in. I'm going back out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home